September 2020 Email Archive – Freedom!
Are You Experiencing the Freedom Christ Purchased for You?
He has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins.
Colossians 1:13-14 (NLT)
Getting What Jesus Paid For
I felt perplexed… and, frankly, a little irritated. I had encountered a bold statement about Jesus coming to set us free. The problem was, I knew Jesus, but I also knew I wasn’t completely free—not the way Jesus intended.
Spiritually saved, yes. But doesn’t Scripture clearly say that Christ purchased forgiveness and freedom?
- “He has rescued us from the kingdom of darkness and transferred us into the Kingdom of his dear Son, who purchased our freedom and forgave our sins” (Colossians 1:13-14, NLT, emphasis mine).
- “He is so rich in kindness and grace that he purchased our freedom with the blood of his Son and forgave our sins” (Ephesians 1:7, NLT, emphasis mine).
So, what was the problem?
Maybe you know what I’m talking about.
Maybe there’s a place somewhere inside you, that says about some part of your life, this isn’t how it is supposed to be.
Well, instead of telling that voice to pipe down, let’s see if it might actually be the whisper of the Holy Spirit.
Let’s compare it to what Scripture says about the freedom Christ has purchased for us, starting with these 7 verses (and there are many more):
- … the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay. – Romans 8:21 (NLT)
- For the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. – 2 Corinthians 3:17 (NLT)
- I will say to the prisoners, ‘Come out in freedom,’ and to those in darkness, ‘Come into the light.’ They will be my sheep, grazing in green pastures and on hills that were previously bare. – Isaiah 49:9 (NLT)
- Christ has liberated us to be free. – Galatians 5:1 (HCSB)
- For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your savior. I gave Egypt as a ransom for your freedom; I gave Ethiopia and Seba in your place. – Isaiah 43:4 (NLT)
- … we receive God’s promise of freedom only by believing in Jesus Christ. – Galatians 3:22 (NLT)
- So if the Son sets you free, you are truly free. – John 8:36 (NLT)
Well, how did you do? Are you truly free?
- If not, I have some very good news for you. I didn’t stay perplexed about not being completely free. I found more of the freedom Christ gives us, and you can, too. Keep reading.
- And if you are already there, there’s more for you here, as well.
Recommended Reading and Resources
I’m excited to share these resources for getting free, staying free, and helping others get free:
- The Healing Breakthrough by Randy Clark— This is one of the best books I’ve read on healing. A must-read. It clears away so many obstacles—including Paul’s thorn—that are in the way of people’s healings. I wrote this blog post about the book.
- Physical healing, inner healing, and deliverance – Receive ministry for yourself and/or learn how to help others. See the excellent free online resources (plus some paid ones) listed in the last section of my recent blog post Jesus Came to Set Us Free.
- Staying free – Learn how to defend your physical healing from spiritual attack in this recent blog post.
Feeding on Scripture
Did you miss any of the August Scripture reflections on Instagram and at the amylu-riley.com blog?
You can see them all here at the website:
- Jesus Came to Set us Free (Luke 4:18)
- Let God Change Your Mind (Romans 12:2)
- Setting Your Hope on God (Psalm 78:7)
- The Power of a Life That Cannot be Destroyed (Hebrews 7:16)
Meat and Dessert (is Not the Name of My New Book!)
I want to let you know how excited I am about the new Christian fiction project I’m working on! If you enjoy inspirational Christian fiction, gentle reads, or small town fiction, I think you’ll love the new book. And it’s my hope that fans of Jan Karon, Miss Read, or Agnes Sanford will especially delight in it. The new book promises to serve both meat and dessert (no, that’s not the name of it), and that’s one reason I’m having such a great time writing it.
Will You be First to Read the New Book?
I’m also so excited at how many people have already signed up to be part of the advance review team for this new fiction book! Yay, you! I really appreciate your enthusiasm and support! When the time comes, you’ll get an email from me with all the details, but right now I just wanted to say a big Thank You! If you haven’t signed up for that, but you still want to apply, or you just want to find out more, check it out here. [NOTE: Link has been deactivated for archive purposes.]
The Stars are Coming Out!
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review online for my books! The number of 5-star reviews is going up, which lets me know that my nonfiction books are finding the people God had in mind to read them. And I love that! My goal is to reach 10 reviews for each book—because that helps independently published books like mine reach more readers—and I need your help to reach that goal. If you haven’t left reviews yet for Faith with Wings, Faith with Grit, Stay, or Jesus as Healer (and you’re not related to me), head over here.
In the midst of the very real spiritual war between two kingdoms that characterizes our time on earth (see John 10:10; Ephesians 6:10-18; and Matthew 6:10), it’s important to keep our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith (see Hebrews 12:2).
When we do, we will remember his great love for us. It’s God’s love that draws our hearts continually to him (see John 12:32)—the safe place for us to be (see Jude 1:21).
This is the love that will permeate and transform us (see Ephesians 2:2-5), and fuel our compassionate ministry of freedom to others (see Hebrews 10:24). Without this love, we are nothing, and we gain nothing (see 1 Corinthians 13:1-3).
I heard Leif Hetland say recently that while watching Season 1 of The Chosen, (a TV show that’s available to watch online, free), he felt like he was falling in love with Jesus all over again. (Here’s some info about the show and the free app to watch it online.)
That got my attention. I had to see the show for myself. And when I did, I agreed. It was a powerful reminder that it really is for freedom that Christ has set us free (see Galatians 5:1), because of God’s love for us (see John 3:16).
To your freedom, health, and wholeness,
P.S. I’d love to hear which of the Scriptures from this email are really coming alive for you right now. Please hit reply and send me an email to let me know!
Faith with Wings by AmyLu Riley
Faith with Grit for the Not-Yet Healed by AmyLu Riley
Stay: Why I’m Still Here, A Spiritual Memoir by AmyLu Riley
Jesus as Healer by AmyLu Riley
AmyLu Riley | P.O. Box 411, Roanoke, IN 46783, United States
You’re receiving the monthly On Freedom, Health, & Wholeness email from author AmyLu Riley because you subscribed at amylu-riley.com or through a BookSweeps Inspirational book event.